Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Training

  • Offer staff development activities during non-paid time
  • Offer staff development classes on weekends and evenings so instruction is not affected
  • Reduce off-site training to reduce travel expense, and concentrate staff development on-site
  • Train deans in employee relations and human resources techniques to reduce grievances and improve morale and productivity
  • Reduce or eliminate general fund revenues spent on staff development
  • Reduce use of paid outside seminars on staff development days and at other times

Standing at my writing desk
I see through the window in the garden the elder bush
And in it vaguely discern some red and black
And suddenly I remember the elder bush
Of my childhood in Augsburg.
And for several minutes I
Seriously consider whether I should
Go to the table to get my glasses, to see
The black berries again on their red wings.
-Bertolt Brecht, Difficult Times, translated from the German by Martin Esslin

1 comment:

  1. People are the most valuable assets at an institution of learning – their minds, their research, their teaching, and their learning. The development of people through ongoing training and development is an important investment for maintaining and enhancing people’s skills, which in turn benefit students.

    ReplyDelete